The new Carendt.com, what do you think?

Home Community General Discussion The new Carendt.com, what do you think?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  John foley 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Gert
    Keymaster

Please let me know what you think about the new layout + forum in the comments below πŸ™‚

daveric
    Participant

… quick registering … a little bit slow reaction for loading a page … great colorssheme … i like the compactness … nice buttons … great job and a attractive site … welldone …

want to see more and often

grtz

daveric

ps: maybe you can do something with the space between lines when i hit the enterkey …. lesser whitespace … there are some text in dutch … is that only in the netherlands (and belgian) or just a technical thing …

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  daveric.

Brian Marriott
    Participant

I have not had time to try all the links but I like your overall approach and look forward to seeing the site evolve as you make ongoing changes and improvements.

Brian

Al Ferguson
    Participant

Hi Gert,

I like the “look and feel”, some of the response times appear slow enough to make me wonder if I actually clicked on the button, I guess that will improve when you start “load balancing” the server.

Colour scheme is easy on the eye and text is easy to read, even for my eyes πŸ™‚

I will be very interested to see what other changes / upgrades you make as you go along.

Well done and thank you for your hard work

Duncan McEwan
    Participant

Hello Gert,

I’m very pleased to see the new site up and running and so well designed! I agree with the comments made so far and add another Well Done!

I have a couple of suggestions – 1. Provide some guidelines for Community Posts. The unfortunate reality is you will eventually need them.
    2. If you wish, provide guidelines for layout contributions. Do you want to limit layouts to the original micro definition or what?

Thanks and Good Luck,

Duncan

Gert
    Keymaster

Where do you see the dutch texts?

Guidelines will be added eventually and website speed will be addressed too. So much to do! πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Gert.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Gert.

AJ Kleipass
    Participant

Um… if you edit a post, it vanishes…. Oops!
    <div></div>

AJ Kleipass
    Participant

Short recap of my vaporized post:

200th Layout Page has black text (honor roll) and pinkish text that vanish / clash with the dark background.

Passenger Lines page (among others) has an issue with the first line of text not wrapping neatly around lead images.

Inglenook page (among others) has an issue with subtitles not standing out from the regular text.

Overall, the site looks great. My one request would be an option to use either a plain black-on-white or high contrast template for those of us with vision issues. The font / font color combination results in a soft focus for me – and I’m using a 43″ TV as a monitor. It would also help if we wanted to print out something from the website.

~AJ Kleipass
    <div></div>

Tom Bell
    Participant

I’d like a way to navigate between pictures, rather than having to close each one down then click on the next to open it.

Tom

David Gurnett
    Participant

On the scrapbook index page you used to be able to see a short list of items for each page, now you can’t. There are a lot of pages so makes it much more difficult to find a particular item.

Apart from that and a few minor layout errors, it’s looking good.

steve grist
    Participant

Love the look of the new site especialy the smaller thumb nail pictures which mean that you can look at say 40 on the same screen

Brock Paine
    Participant

I like this new look, although it will take some time to get accustomed. Keep up the good work!

Allen
    Participant

So far I like it. I was looking at a scrapbook page per evening and one day it was all different and I was like “what the…” I thought I got a browser virus or something.

I really like how the articles and explanatory pages are more obvious. Let me explain why that’s important to me. I first heard about carendt when first starting out looking for small track plans for a coffee table when I got back into the hobby. People would always say “go check out the stuff on carendt.com” but when I did I just saw the scrap book pages which were random, unhelpful and sometimes goofy. I needed structure and someone to explain why the layouts where designed the way they were. Showing off a clever solution Β is useless to a newbie unless the problem is explained. Now after subscribing to several model rr magazines for a few years and reading lots of books I have the modeling and prototype background that makes me appreciate what Carl was all about and what this website has to offer. Then one day I was back here again begrudgingly sifting through the scrapbook and I noticed the article link. I clicked on it and started reading the pages. Wow! It all made so much sense! Sector plates, transfer tables, fiddle yards, swappable backgrounds, and inglenooks all made sense! Not only did I start digging into the scrapbook but I realized how the micro layouts concept is even in mainstream model rr publications. I just needed someone to define the terms and show me what was going on.

So the moral of my ramble is please don’t forget to make this treasure of a site easy for newbies to get on board. Btw, I think the forum will help with that but the beginner articles are the best.

Allen
    Participant

Just found the links page. Some neat stuff but a lot of them link to sites that are dead or irrelevant any more.

Franco
    Participant

Hi Gert,

logging took me a while because the connection was considered “unsafe” anyway everything seems solved.

The new version looks good, I think Carl would be proud of it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.